A good book should leave you…slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it.
– William Styron
What a year of books it has been! To choose an arbitrary number for my favourites is an act of self-inflicted frustration – I mean, I could have made it the top twenty instead – but for some reason that feels dishonest (and dangerously open-ended, I told you I can’t trust myself where lists are concerned) so I have instead honed the brilliance of a year’s reading down to a choice of ten. Each book on this list displays a combination of superb writing, excellent characters and mind-blowing imagination. Some of them I own, and treasure. Most I don’t, and covet. Whoever is reading this, wherever and whenever you are, I would love to know your top ten too. This is literary cross-pollination, and the flowers can be wonderful.
- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society – Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
- The Tricksters – Margaret Mahy
- The Shape-Shifter’s Wife – Sharon Shinn
- The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making – Catherynne M. Valente
- The Scorpio Races – Maggie Stiefvater
- The Courier’s New Bicycle – Kim Westwood
- The Demon’s Covenant – Sarah Rees Brennan
- White Cat – Holly Black
- De Luxe – Lenny Bartulin
- House of Suns – Alastair Reynolds